Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Upcoming Difficulties

All people have difficulties in their lives. Our family sure has had a number of hard times. I ask for prayers for us as we traverse through these next months.

On February 14 I will be starting a Transition to Practice Program through Riverside City College (RCC). In this program, I will be gaining acute care hospital experience at Riverside County Regional Medical Center (RCRMC). This program requires two 12 hour shifts a week at RCRMC and one eight hour lab class weekly at RCC. The program ends officially on June 8. Just prior to the end of this program I will start the class Nursing 357 (Nursing for the Aged Population) through California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) as I continue my quest to obtain a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. Throughout this entire process I will continue working full-time at Chapman Hospice as a Registered Nurse (RN) Case Manager. My wife Heather is currently taking to classes at California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) and will be, again, a full-time student there in March. That's a lot of stuff!!!

At the end of the Transition to Practice Program I hope to work full-time in acute care. I have loved working as a RN in hospice, but my goal is to work acute care. Specifically, my ultimate goal is to work Labor and Delivery. Any advice to survive these upcoming difficulties?

1 comment:

  1. That is a lot of work! I'm currently a full time student as well as working part time, working some 20-ish hours a week. Although I have no experience as a parent, here are some things I can suggest that have helped me:

    -Prioritize EVERYTHING. Make a schedule, and stick to it as close as possible. It's the only way to get things done...it'll be tough if you just decide to "wing it" throughout the day without some sort of structure.
    -Along with those priorities, make sure to make time for each other, your family, and especially yourself. If you yourself aren't in the best shape, it'll make it more difficult for you to be there for each other as well as your family. Take breaks. Eat. Sleep well. ESPECIALLY SLEEP! Some people lose a lot of sleep, and I can understand it's not always possible with kids, but do your best.
    -Take time out every week (if not possible to do everyday) to do something not work related. Do things you enjoy. Indulge in hobbies. Being totally engrossed in work and/or school for far too long can and may cause burn out. Taking time (physical AND mental) out from these things will help keep up your motivation to power through busy days and ensure your sanity :P
    -If you need help, for WHATEVER reason, don't hesitate to ask friends or family for assistance. That is a lot of work to take up on, so definitely ask! You're surely not alone. :)

    Hope this helps! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete